Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Fighting the bitterness and the sadness

Loughlin's 8th grade graduation
Exactly a year ago. Cyrus' is next week.

These last two days I have been sad, so sad that I cannot make it to town without completely falling apart in the car. I can't make it to a baseball practice with any make-up left on my eyes. I am having a hard time finding any joy in the day, which makes me more down because of all the beautiful blessings I have surrounding me. I miss Loughlin more than words can describe. Maybe it's the spring weather, or the last few days of school that make it worse. Maybe it is watching the graduation of some pretty great kids in our ward and knowing I will never experience that with Lough. then the bitterness sets in. I hate the bitterness. I hate the self pity. I hate blaming myself for where my life is but I also have to take some responsibility in all this, a dead daughter, a dead son and a life I don't even know how to mold to.


I found out this morning that some of Loughlin's friends made T-shirts with his picture on it, and are wearing them at school. They say ,"We will always remember you". So bittersweet. I wish they didn't have to remember him. I wish he was there celebrating the end of school with them, smiling, laughing and being the great kid he was. Oh how I wish I could get on him for the few "B"'s on his report card, instead I am telling my usually great other students that as long as they pass, everything will be OK this year, but will it ever be OK again. I read my scriptures and find no relief. I go to church and learn about the trials of the early saints but do I need to read about their trials when I am living my own and listening to blowhards try to describe what it was like when they have no idea what it is like. (Not nice I know but I am tired of being nice) Cy has been trying so hard to build the relationship he shared with Loughlin, with True now and he wants True to be like Lough but True is still only 10, and True has a hard time filling that role . As well as Cy has a hard time filling the role as oldest brother. Each day seems such a struggle. Gordon B. Hinckley once said, "Life is to be enjoyed not just endured" I just don't know how to get to there from here. The anxiety, the pain, the sorrow, and now the bitterness is all consuming at times. The cave I have fallen into is deep again. You would think I had learned not to get close to those deep holes but they seem to blindside you, sneak up on you. I hope I find my way out fast. I hate it in the dark. I hate this hopelessness I feel.

3 comments:

Amy Poulson said...

Kenda--My heart breaks for you. I am so, so, sorry that you are going throug this experience. And I know that all who love you wish they could do something, say something, anything to make it better. The one thing that I have noticed as I have followed your blog, is that you have good days, and you have days like these where you feel like your heart has been permanently ripped out of your chest and nothing will ever fill the hole. And then you seem to have days where at least you can breathe, though it may be labored. And then you have days when you may even smile, or laugh. I know the hard days are numerous, but hold on, there is a day of a smile and some laughter around the corner. Be nice to yourself, and take it hour by hour. And call people "blowhards" as you see fit. Heaven knows they are everywhere. :) And anybody who says it isn't so, or doesn't acknowledge it, isn't living in reality.

So keep your chin up. And when you can't, know that you have a bunch of cousins that are willing to hold it up for you. :)

Love you.

Amy

{ Bethany } said...

(((HUG))) Hoping this blackhole passes soon and you get a respite for awhile...I know the bitter, angry, pity feelings well. I hate them, too. Don't forget that you won't always feel the way that you feel right now. My lovely friend tells me that, she lost her 15yo son 7 years ago.

Love my babes said...

((Hugs)) Cyrus is doing a great job of being a big brother he even volunteered to watch alot of extras;o) I am glad he trying w/True. I pray daily for you and hope you feel the prayers of many thru the extra difficult moments of your day. You do have GREAT kids and even in the small things they shine. True has made a permanent place in Ian's heart just letting him sit by him w/his cool buddies around made Ian feel so special. I pray that people who don't know how to relate to you will find s/thing kind to say or just be quiet. Love ya!!