Friday, May 22, 2009

Change teams, change of attitude


Yesterday we made the call to see if True could change baseball teams. The team he was on was dreadful. The week would go something like: Go to practice Monday, True would come away demoralized, unhappy, angry at the world. Tuesday got to the game, play one inning in right field, hit twice. Wednesday, go to practice, come away using expletives, True doesn't usually use, tears, certainly not worth this. Thursday, do the game thing all over again as mom is driving home trying to encourage, all the while wondering why I let him put himself in this position and feeling angry and wishing my brother Kurt was up here to put the fear of God in a complete jerk, who thinks being cruel to young boys is the way you show your power. getting home around 9 each night and trying to keep a quasi routine going for the family, eating out more than we should and having tired children every night.

Finally yesterday Harlen made the call and got True on the other team., what a difference. I saw my angry son smile for the first time in weeks. His coach let him play first base and he did very well. Encouragement was given out in plentiful supply. Instruction not degradation was used as a tool to teach. Parents at the game caring, talking, having fun. What a difference and so much weight lifted from my shoulders. True is so angry all of the time and baseball seemed to be the ignition for his wrath but this morning there is excitement about the upcoming week and we are so relieved.

I know this seems trivial but watching my kids go through any trial right now is hard because of the pain I know that is in their hearts. I just want to let them have a break for a while from the evil and harshness of this world, give them some free time away from the strife(they certainly deserve one). They need a chance to become strong again before someone tries to take them down.

2 comments:

Heather C said...

Yay!!! I am so glad you guys got him on another team. I am so happy he is smiling again and excited to play and you are right, he deserves a fun, happy experience, not something that will make him feel bad.

Love my babes said...

I am so glad it worked out. They should be having fun or they will never want to continue. A smile is worth so much I am glad you get to enjoy True's.