Sunday, September 26, 2010

Life, Faith and Miracles




The lesson in R.S. today was on faith, blessings and miracles. I have had many close friends and family members pray for miracles, only to never see them fulfilled. I am happy for those that have had miracles touch their lives. I am grateful to a kind Heavenly Father that sends some of us the miracles we desire. I know faith is required to receive such blessings. I also know that some of the greatest people in the world don't receive their miracle. I have seen with my own eyes the faith that these wonderful friends, the sincere desire in which they asked for these things, sometimes for themselves but also for their loved ones.


I remember at 17, knowing my beautiful cousin was losing her battle with cancer, being on my knees praying for her to be healed, watching my incredible aunt and uncle suffer as their oldest daughter fought with all of her might to win, I am sure they tried everything they could to aid in her struggle for her life, but their miracle never came.


I also remember watching one of my closest friend's daughter struggle with that same cancer that took my cousin. I don't know if I have ever met greater people than her and her husband. Faith, fasting, blessings, doctors, everything was tried but they never got their miracle either.


Then their is my husband, also and incredibly faithful man and wonderful if I don't say so myself. I watched his father struggle for as many years as I knew him with bad health. Doctors, prayers, fasting, blessings and even after his heart failed him in the hospital praying for a miracle but once again that miracle never came.


All around me there are miracles, big and small happening everyday. Are those lucky few more faithful? I have a firm belief that our Father in Heaven is in control and only He sends those miracles. It isn't a greater faith, or a more righteous few that are the recipients. It is His plan. I am still trying to remember this each day. I believe it takes great faith to go on even after your miracle doesn't come. Faith is to hope for things that are not seen. Miracles are seen, so they do not increase your faith. Having your loved ones taken from you leaving sorrow and emptiness, increases your faith, your hope, your desire for an eternal family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kenda, I really appreciated your comments in RS today. You gave some good advice on the topic of faith and pretty much had me and quite a few others in tears. Just know that no matter what, we are still praying for you and hoping that your burden will become lighter with each passing day.
And I totally agree with you about your sweet hubby...we think he's one of the best around.

Heather C said...

I remember distinctly after April died thinking but we did everything we were supposed to. We fasted, we prayed, I was on my best behavior and she still died. It didn't make any sense to me then and sometimes still doesn't. I am glad you were there for that RS lesson to maybe offer some perspective and remind people that if we don't get the answer to our prayers we are looking for it doesn't mean we are less faithful only that God had a different plan for us. I think sometimes lessons like that leave people feeling like they are failing somehow when that isn't the case.