Tuesday, September 21, 2010

"Charity suffereth long"


It is difficult to explain the experience of passing through a long trial. Each day is difficult but the cumulative effect of facing challenges day after day magnifies the burden. When we start off on a long journey up a steep mountain, our first steps aren't too hard. As we continue to hike though, all of the steps that came before make each new step harder and harder. If someone hadn't seen the mountain and didn't know what the incline was and only seen us at the summit, they would conclude that we aren't in very good shape or that we aren't very good climbers. When in fact, just the opposite is true, we are in great shape.


It is not wise to compare our crosses, although many of us get caught up in doing just that. Each of us have struggles and trials, not everyone is equal. This is one of my biggest burdens in this life. I have a hard time with the fairness of it all. I want a game to be fair. I want punishment to be fair. I want life to be fair, but none of these things ever come about. I need to find enough faith to understand that God is in control, not me. If I could do just that, the guilt that I feel might be lifted and my hearts burden be eased.

1 comment:

Bridget said...

Giving up the idea that we have control over everything is so hard. I definitely have NOT mastered that one.