Friday, December 12, 2008

My Oldest son, Loughlin:




Loughlin Harlen Garner




Loughlin was born on a very hot September 18, 1993. I was a very anxious mother but I loved him so very much. After just 1 hr in the nursery the nurses brought him to me because he would not settle down and was keeping all of the rest of the new babies awake. ( A trend he kept most of his life with his siblings). He was so beautiful and so alive for being just a newborn. He seldom slept and was always aware of everything around him. He was attached to me and would only tolerate a few others. I was so happy to be his mom. He grew throughout his short 15 years to be a great worthy young man who loved his family, his God, his friends and his country. Even though I did not tell him often enough I loved him and was so very proud of the young man he had become. He loved the outdoors and at every chance would fish and hunt. We live on a farm/ranch outside Nyssa, Oregon and he was a great help to his father.He hated the cows but was a great help with the farm work. He was getting to be a great student and he was loved by all that knew him. He was always willing to help anyone in need.



Loughlin was taken from us on October 27, 2008 in a terrible car accident just 200 yards from our home. He was gone before I could say goodbye. I know in my heart it was an accident but I was driving and I am suppose to protect him. I did not see that truck parked on the side of the road, in fact I do not remember much about that day. It was an ordinary Monday and we were just on our way to school. It turned out to be anything but ordinary. Cyrus,13 was riding in the front, Maya, 8, Loughlin and Giles,6 in the middle seat and True,10 in the rear seat of our Suburban. There was not much left of our vehicle. Cyrus' legs were crushed and Maya recieved a terrible concusion. They were both life flighted to Boise. True lost 5 teeth, Giles just banged up a little and me with a few lacerations, all that will heal. Harlen and Lea were at home when they heard the news. We spent a week at St. Al's in Boise with Cyrus and Maya .(which is a blur to me). On November 3rd, 2008 we layed Loughlin to rest. Around 1200 attended his funeral. So many acts of kindness were performed on behalf of our family. Friends and Family have held us up when life seemed harder than we could handle. We are so grateful to all. When I let him I know the Holy Ghost will comfort me. Oh how this has tested my faith and broke my heart.




These last 6 weeks seem as though they were just a bad dream. Every morning I wake up hoping that it was. I miss Loughlin with every breath I take."Why?" hangs heavy on my soul.My only hope for this day is that"Sunday Will Come" as Elder Wirthlin has counseled, that we will live worthy enough to be with Loughlin again, that that day will come soon, that our family will be whole again someday and that I will be able to hold my son in my arms and tell him how very proud I am of him and that I always have been. I love you Loughlin.

No comments: