Thursday, May 24, 2012

Strength, Graduations & Birthdays


I am hoping upon hope that I can muster the strength to make it through tonight's awards assembly where Harlen and I will be handing out the 8 scholarships to some really great kids in Loughlin's honor.(They are certainly not kids anymore but that is a way I am coping with this new wave of sorrow in our lives). It is an extremely busy week packed full of so many life fulfilling events. 
True graduated from 8th grade yesterday, sort of a relief. He is so full of life and funny and likes to really enjoy everyday, which gets him in trouble once in a while. He received the Presidential Academic award, pulling that off with being the only 8th grader in Geometry. He has plenty of brains but sometimes he uses those brains for far from scholastically proven projects. I am extremely proud of him. The ceremony struck so many raw nerves remembering Loughlin there. The last school awards assembly he attended.Everything around me seems so bittersweet.
Cyrus turned 17 yesterday. "17" !!! He made it. We made it. Each day is a gift of some kind.  2 years past what I had ever known before. He is an incredible young man. Sometimes he seems older than me. Life has been so cruel at times for him, has made him grow up too fast, made him somewhat solitary. He pulls off a 3.7-3.8 without  more than 5 nights of homework total this year. He was blessed with a very analytically induced mind, but since the accident, he has had a hard time concentrating for long periods of time. He is so close to my heart, I know, all of my babies are but Cyrus lives with guilt as his mom does.
I am coaching softball this year, Maya's team. I am old. I am fat. I am out of shape. Our team is less than perfect. Man I am having fun though, through it all. It certainly is a break from the mundane. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was good to talk to you today. I'm glad that you are willing to participate in as many of the activities that you feel that you can in the days ahead. I'm certain that Lough is glad, too. He has a good group of friends who still miss him and will never forget him. See you tonight! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to tell you that you and Harlan did a wonderful job presenting the awards tonight. It was such a tender sight and McCall was very touched and humbled to be one of the recipients. It was a lovely tribute to Loughlin. Thanks again.