Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Father's Day belated


I just wanted to write a little about a really great man I met about 21 years a go. Harlen is the best thing that ever happened to me. He has been a wonderful husband and father for almost 18 years. I love him more than life itself. He is an incredible dad. He makes any of the kids' games or practices that he is physically able to do. He has never made himself first. He makes me so very happy. My kids love him.


After Loughlin died we went to get his school stuff out of his locker, his backpack, books, etc... In his backpack we found this handout that he had filled out about his future. There were lots of questions like: what do you want to be, where do you want to go to college, where do yo want to live and so on but the most important question was Who do you look up to or admire. Loughlin answered Abraham Lincoln, Mitt Romney and my dad. What 15 year old boy has that much respect for his father? Loughlin loved Harlen so much. Another question he answered was, what makes you happy? He answered making my parents proud. Well he did that his whole life. I couldn't have asked for a greater son. I miss him so much. This day was so hard. I kept thinking that I took Harlen's best buddy away from him. I know I say this plenty but I am so sorry things turned out the way they did. I would do anything to change this life that we are living now. I would have done anything to have my son join us in this celebration of his dad. I wish I could change things. I hope this pain eases soon. I feel like my heart is broken in half.
Harlen I love you!

No comments: