Tuesday, March 15, 2016

2 Down 1 to Go

Two weeks ago we settled Giles' case out of court with an arbitrator. In Oregon law there is a top to an award with an arbitrator. We were not asking for that much, but the arbitrator watched Giles struggle so much through his testimony that he awarded Giles the max. It was a relief not to have to go through anymore of this with Giles. I think it woke the insurance company up a bit.

Friday we had a mediation with the judge on True's case. It took about 4 hrs but we ended up with a reasonable amount that will take care of True's upcoming bills for his teeth and some for further counseling in his life. I was grateful to have it over. True was also. It feels like some of the weight is off my shoulders.

Monday is Maya's trial, yes trial. The insurance company is showing their teeth and they are pointed and jagged and thirsty for blood. They have no intentions of settling with us. They believe they are standing on principles. I believe they are standing on the heartache and disabilities of my daughter. I am firm at this point. After the hell they have put us through for 7+ years I will die before I let them win, even if I have to take 2 valiums a day to get through. She is worth it. She is worth my world. I would give it all up just for her to have a fighting chance. They owe her that. Exactly what is insurance for?

No comments: