Tuesday, June 23, 2015

My Poem for my Grandpa

15 Things I know about my Grandpa…..

1)      He chose to be part of my life,
And not just because he made my grandma his wife.

2)      He put a smile on my Grandma’s face and took away her blues.
Each made the other better. They always went in two’s.

3)      He lived a lifetime before he became part of our clan.
He made some mistakes but he always was a good man.

4)      He was a World War II vet stationed in France.
If you were lucky he would mention it, if only by chance.

5)      He recognized each achievement that I made.
With a wink of an eye the pride he conveyed

6)      He was one of the toughest guys that I ever knew.
To live how he lived there were only but a few.

7)      He was 50 years sober. He attributed it to AA.
He was never boastful or spiteful, that just wasn’t his way.

8)      In or out of his mouth he wasn’t afraid to show his pearly whites.
Making the adults chuckle and giving the kids quite a fright.

9)      He could hit a spittoon from across the room
All While reading Louis L’Amour’s , “A Man Called Noon”

10)   He loved his pennies almost as much as his books.
In hope for that special one he would look and he’d look.

11)   When he wasn’t busy searching he was working on his farm.
Planting more than they could ever eat did no one any harm.

12)   Morning or night he always carried his coffee thermos.
Making everyone around him jealous or nervous.

13)   He never complained to me about the way he was feeling.
About the grief of my Grandma and how he was dealing.

14)   He made my soul lighter whenever he was close
If you don’t know it by now I thought he deserved a heroes toast.

15)   I miss you Grandpa, your memories will forever stay in my heart.
And that is what, I will carry with me until I too depart.


I love you Grandpa

No comments: