Saturday, September 1, 2018

My Punishment




MY PUNISHMENT

Last night I had the most vivid dream.
A nightmare full of terror it seemed.
My hands, and my feet were tied to a post.
Above me floated my dead son’s ghost.
The fire burned high and hot all around.
The crackling of the embers was heard, the only sound.
Guilty of killing my oldest son.
It’s the last thing I would have ever done
The whole town cheered at the sight of my demise.
If only they could have seen that day through my eyes.
Their judgement might be different than guilty and death.
The pain is excruciating. I barely catch a breath.
I feel my skin sizzle in the blistering flames.
I am she, whom the whole world blames.
As the heat engulfs me I devour this punishment.
My soul senses a complete replenishment.
After years of agony my spirit finally embraces the release.
Life exiled, head slumped, I am finally at peace.

No comments: