Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Trying to come to terms with my new existence

I am trying to really come to terms with my new existence. It isn't easy. 2 years ago my life was not even close to being perfect. I was lousy at many things, but the good thing then is I didn't much care. I was trying and that is all that mattered to me. Today, I am still lousy at those things but the list grows larger each day. The trials keep swirling about us like a storm tat doesn't seem to want to leave. I find myself laughing at the insanity of this life, which is an improvement because I use to just cry. My husband is my greatest cheerleader and yet I cannot find my way out of the gloom. I haven't quit trying yet but I can feel my will slowly slipping away. I still feel lousy most every day, some days almost unbearable, but I keep trudging alone, hoping for a breakthrough into my psyche. I don't know how much to say here because of the stigmatising attached to mental health. I thought about how silly people seem to be when people struggle with a disease of the mind. I hear the chatter. Why is the brain any different than any other organ in the body. Can you imagine two people giggling and chuckling at the fact that Frank has a bad heart, and he can't find any medicine that is helping him, or Sue is on dialysis for her kidneys, hahaha now that is hilarious, or even that breast cancer is raging in Sharon and the chemo isn't touching it. Yet, how many times do you hear in a conversation that Greta that crazy chick just can't seem to get it together. Or hahaha Jim is the luckiest man in the world, he married Jo and she has so many personalities that he has someone new every night.
I have heard of people with physical ailments that are so brave, they fight and fight until they are cured or in the end lose the fight, but how many of us feel the same about people that struggle with, depression, bi-polar, mania, PTSD? People that are depressed are not lazy, just as people who have lung cancer cannot run a marathon. People who are bi-polar are not nuts, they have no control over their moods without the help of a trained doctor. Sometimes it takes years before they find something that helps a brain not working properly. Am I preaching? In a way but I want to help people understand what it feels like to wake each morning feeling overwhelmed, anxious, in a panic, so blue the first thing that you want to do is cry, or not to know what you are doing at all. The mind is so powerful it controls the rest of the organs in the body. If it isn't working properly, nothing seems to work properly.
I am just asking, be gentle with those around you that struggle in this way.

1 comment:

Grandma Brenda said...

Oh, thank you for posting that beautiful video, and for your message. We all need reminded that there are many unseen problems and illnesses in this life, and only by loving and serving unconditionally can we do the Lord's work. I know that sometimes those with the most problems are those that appear just fine on the outside. May the Lord bless you EVERY MOMENT in your efforts to combat your trials, and may he bless US to be patient, loving, and constantly turning to HIM for answers. There is truly a purpose to this existence, and though I don't know everything, I feel within my very soul that he is cheering us on, bidding us to return home after the journey. Love ya, Me